Stop the Pain and Conflict so you can feel Connected, Safe, and Appreciated in your Relationship
Perhaps you feel defeated by your marriage or relationship or frustrated that you can’t fix it. Do you feel guilty or ashamed for the way things are going or have gone in the past? Or maybe you are angry, wounded or hurt by your partner’s words or actions. Are you exhausted and lost trying to fix your marriage or relationship, or simply overwhelmed, stuck or discouraged when things don’t change…again? Are you desperate for help and answers?
Many couples, whether they are married or dating, are sick of fighting about parenting, sex, money and/or in-laws…the same issues, over and over. They can predict how an argument will go…before it even starts. Often couples fall into cycles where one partner often tries desperately to engage in conversation whereas the other often withdraws in silence. They try to resolve their marriage and relationship issues, to no avail, no matter how hard they try. They vow to change, only to return to their predictable patterns. Finally, they often wonder if it will ever get better, if it is worth the pain, or if they should just separate or divorce.
Marriage and couples counseling can help! Unlike some counselors untrained in the nuances of marriage and couples counseling, who simply prescribe uniform communication scripts, with no evidence for their effectiveness, we utilize Emotionally Focused Therapy, an engaging, research based marriage and couples counseling model designed to address the root of your marriage and relationship distress, for long-term positive change. Research on Emotionally Focused Therapy indicates that approximately 90% of treated couples rated themselves better than controls and 70-73% of couples recovered from distress at follow-up (trend: improvement continues after therapy). Additionally, in a two year follow-up on very stressed couples in relationship distress, depression and parental distress results were stable. Utilizing this model, the experts at the Prescott Relationship Center help couples regain a sense of control and integrity so partners can feel close, connected, safe, accepted, appreciated, and validated in your relationship.
Through the process of marriage or couples counseling using Emotionally Focused Therapy, you will better understand:
- Why you and your partner interact and communicate the way you do;
- How your past experiences and marriage/relationship injuries influence you today (i.e. Who comforted you? Who do you turn to? Who hugged you? etc.);
- How to assess your interaction style and how each member of the couple unknowingly perpetuates it;
- How to accurately identify “events” versus “issues” (events will come and go, issues are more enduring and often reflect the overt and underlying emotions partners are experiencing);
- How to view your negative interaction style in terms of an underlying need for closeness and connection in your marriage and relationship;
- How to identify when your partner may be attempting to connect or repair an injury;
- Understand the strategies used by couples in long-term happy marriages (i.e. how they approach conflict, how much time they spend together, how they balance criticism and compliments, etc.);
- How to take care of yourself to maximize positive marriage and relationship change.
If you have any fears or concerns about marriage or couples counseling, we encourage you to read our Frequently Asked Questions page. If you have additional concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Making an appointment is easy–you can call the Prescott Relationship Center at 928-273-0027. After all, if not now, when?Make sure to ask about our discounts for active duty military, veteran and full-time teachers in need.